Home Contact-us Help

 

Ads By CiberSpaces


Ads By CiberSpaces


 
 Places of Interest

 

SEBORUCO HEADLAND (FARALLÓN DE SEBORUCO), MAYARÍ
This National Monument is located next to the city of Mayarí, in the north-eastern province of Holguín where archaeological evidence has been found of aboriginal dwellings of an ancient nomad community. The findings include cave drawings, ilex knives, food remains as well as human bones and bones of extinct mammals. The dating of the human bones using C14 evidenced that they were over 5 000 yea... For more information...


“CAPTAIN ALBERTO FERNÁNDEZ MONTES DE OCA” MINE
When it was closed in 1997, the mine named after Captain Alberto Fernández Montes de Oca was being restored within the historical area of Matahambre, declared National Monument on January 24th of 2000. This place contains one of the main elements of heritage used in the production of copper ore with technology from the first decades of the XX century. A site well worth visiting is the Munic... For more information...


23rd and 12th STREET INTERSECTION
This famous spot in the neighbourhood of El Vedado, near the Colón Cemetery, has been declared a National Monument. Precisely in the intersection of these streets, is where the memorable farewell ceremony took place of the victims of the aerial attack by airplanes from the United States against several Cuban airports and facilities on April 16th of 1961. This attack was a prelude to the mercen... For more information...


ABEL SANTAMARÍA MUSEUM PARK
Among the remains of the old Saturnino Lora Civilian Hospital, a building that dates back to 1865, is located a beautiful and solemn spot in Santiago de Cuba, where a group of young people attacked the hospital on July 26th of 1953. Another historical event took place on October 16th of that same year, where the trial against Fidel Castro, regarding the events of the Moncada Garrison, took plac... For more information...


ALEJANDRO DE HUMBOLT NATIONAL PARK
It became one of the most important in the Caribbean and is named for the German scientist that visited Cuba in the XVIII century. It is located in the vast area of the province of Guantánamo in the extreme eastern part of the country and there one can find many species of native Cuban flora and fauna that add to the area’s attractions. It is also home to one of the most varied and protected e... For more information...


AMERICAS HOUSE (CASA DE LAS AMERICAS)
One of the institutions of prestige, it is located in the intersection of G and 3rd Avenues in the neighbourhood of Vedado in Havana City. It was opened in 1959 by Haydee Santamaría, one of the two women that took part in the attack on the Moncada Garrison (Cuartel Moncada) on July 26th of 1953. The present day House is presided over by Roberto Fernández Retamar and due to the incessant effort... For more information...


ANCIENT FENCE OF SAN BARTOLO (ANTIGUA VALLA DE SAN BARTOLO)
This is located in the town of Baire some 50 metres from the plaza. On February 24th of 1895 the “valleros” of the area concentrated themselves in this place from the early hours of the morning, and those who heard the speech of the Commander of the 1868 war Florencio Salcedo, who was judge of the fence that day, who said “...enough cockfighting, it time for men to fight and not animals, for Cuba’... For more information...


ARMORED TRAIN. (SANTA CLARA)
Located in the city of Santa Clara, it is quite a unique attraction for those lovers of Cuba’s history. There, on November 29th of 1958, troops from Column 8 led by Ernesto Che Guevara, struck a hard blow to Batista’s tyranny by derailing an armoured train, carrying reinforcement soldiers to fight the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) in the eastern area of the island. This monument was raised 13... For more information...


ARTEMISA
This is a fertile area that is eminently industrial and agricultural, well known for its red rust coloured earth. This town treasures a beautiful history, since in 1953 many young men accompanied Fidel Castro on the assault on the Moncada Garrison (Cuartel Moncada), in Santiago de Cuba. It is a good idea to visit the solemn mausoleum built in honour of the region’s sons, who gave their lives in th... For more information...


ARTS AND CRAFTS SCHOOL (ESCUELA DE ARTES Y OFICIOS)
This well known educational institution is located in the centre of Santiago de Cuba and was hailed a National Monument on January 20th of 2000. The students and teachers were the stars of important revolutionary struggles through out history, one of the most outstanding students being Félix Pena Díaz. The school was opened in 1928 with the aim of satisfying the demand of skilled labour whi... For more information...


Baconao Park
Only 20 kilometres away from the city of Santiago de Cuba and some 80 000 hectares of surface area is Baconao Park, penetrating in Guantánamo’s territory. The visitor is awed by the variety of spots to discover and explore, among them beaches, historical and natural sites, unique museums, as well as a variety of restaurants and cafeterias. Created in 1981, it features several tourist attractio... For more information...


BACUNAYAGUA BRIDGE
This bridge marks the territorial limit by way of the Via Blanca Highway of the provinces of Havana and Matanzas, and so both territories squabble for this genuine jewel of Cuban architecture of an extension of 114 metres and heights of around 110 metres. The construction was finished in 1960 and the arch of the bridge was made out of laminated metal, set up in two sections, each one turning un... For more information...


BAIRE PLAZA
This site, located in the town of the same name in Santiago de Cuba, was declared a National Monument and is where the troops led by Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, also known as Father of the Homeland (Padre de la Patria), and José Joaquín Palma, a poet from Manzanillo, were concentrated. As fate had it, on February 24th of 1895, when the struggle for independence was taken up again, Captain Satur... For more information...


BANES
This cosy town also known as the archaeological capital of Cuba, treasures in its territory a historically valued site named Chorro de Maíta, where the largest aboriginal cemetery of the Antilles is located (it is an archaeological site and museum) as well as the Taina village (AldeaTaína). To visit the Cultural Recreational Park (Parque Recreativo Cultural) is to live again a history of over 5... For more information...


BARACOA
Baracoa was the first village founded by the Spanish in 1511, and five centuries later is still standing as the main tourist attraction of Guantánamo. Its name is of Arauaco origin and means “existence of the sea”. It is also called the Landscape City, Rainy City, Mountain City, Water City (Ciudad Paisaje, Ciudad de las Lluvias, Ciudad de las Montañas, Ciudad de las Aguas), and is the capital ... For more information...


BATEY OF THE AMÉRICA LIBRE SUGAR MILL
Located in the ancient sugar mill called Oriente, property of The Sugar State of Oriente (Covered by the American Howell Group) it became the most important scene of the worker’s struggle in Contramaestre. Here is the house where the Rebel Command (Comandancia Rebelde) was established on December 19th of 1958, and it was also the scene for important events related to the last period of the ins... For more information...


BATTLE OF MAL TIEMPO (BATALLA DE MAL TIEMPO)
This historical site, located in the municipality of Cruces, is within a park surrounded by a paved area that acts as an access to the obelisk. It has a stepped structure in a pyramidal form, and is located at the centre of the park surrounded by colonial ruins. On December 15th of 1895, the invading column of Maceo and Gómez started moving in order to penetrate the territory of Cienfuegos; an... For more information...


BAYAMO
Bayamo is the capital of the province of Granma. In the last days of the XIX century, it had the historical privilege of becoming the capital of the Republic in Arms and in its historical centre one can see the birth house of the Cuban patriot and Father of the Homeland, Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, as well as the Anthem Plaza (Plaza del Himno) and the Cathedral, all places very much related to its ... For more information...


BEJUCAL BRASS BANDS (CHARANGAS DE BEJUCAL)
The deeply rooted traditions of the town closest to the capital’s international airport José Martí, come alive during the last days of the year. Then the “charangueros”, divided into two bands, establish a friendly competition carrying out the most varied activities atop their carriages. The final show takes place in the old church plaza and starts very early from the headquarters of each band, wh... For more information...


Birth House of Abel Santamaría Cuadrado
Museum 2da. del Norte No. 1, Encrucijada It was declared a National Monument by Resolution 29, dictated in Havana City on December 31st of 1981. The house was built in the twenties of wood and tiles. The inner floor is of mosaics, while the outer flooring is of cement. It is of vernacular construction. Here, Abel Santamaría Cuadrado was born in the year of 1927, and he also spent most of hi... For more information...


BIRTH HOUSE OF CARLOS BALIÑO
The home of one of the founders of the first Communist Party of Cuba, has been turned into a museum and is located in the municipality of Guanajay, in the westward section of the province of La Habana. Carlos Baliño was born on February 13th of 1848, and together with José Martí, he created the Cuban Revolutionary Party. The building, which has resisted the years, dates from the first half... For more information...


BIRTH HOUSE OF JOSÉ ANTONIO ECHEVERRÍA
It is located on Genas St. No.560 between Calzada and Colonel Verdugo, municipality of Cárdenas, only 10 miles away from the famous beach of Varadero. This cultural institution was declared a National Monument since 1971 due to its historical and architectural values. Inside the building there are 983 objects on exhibit. It has nine rooms, one of them decorated in a way that recreates the ch... For more information...


BODEGUITA DEL MEDIO
This famous restaurant located in the heart of Old Havana (Habana Vieja) opened its doors in 1942 and among the most loyal clients were intellectuals that would pop in after doing business in a nearby printing press. It was named for its position precisely in the very centre of Empedrado Street, very close to the Cathedral Plaza (Plaza de la Catedral). One of the journalists thought to write ... For more information...


Botanical Garden, Cienfuegos
This hundred-year-old institution is the oldest of its kind in the country and offers the national as well as the foreign visitor the possibility of admiring well cared for plants originating from all parts of the planet. The incomparable greenery envelops the whole garden of the Pearl of the South and its palm collection is so complete that experts have stated that it can be considered one of the... For more information...


BRIDGE OVER THE YAYABO RIVER
The Yayabo Bridge (Puente Yayabo), which rises up over the city of Sancti Spíritus, is the only one of its type in Cuba and one of the most ancient in the country. It was built from bricks, lime and sand from the surrounding area, without using cement, according to one technical report from the laboratory of the National Centre of Conservation, Restoration and Museums. Maribí Cabrera, an engine... For more information...


CABALLETE DE CASA
Caballete de Casa, among the Escambray mountains, in the centre of the island, was the site chosen by the Comandante Guerrillero (Ernesto Che Guevara) for establishing his headquarters. Ernesto Che Guevara’s Headquarters (Comandancia de Ernesto Che Guevara) during the struggle before 1959, located in Caballete de Casa, in the mountain massif of the Escambray, in the centre of the country, is ... For more information...


CAIMITO DEL HANÁBANA
This area maintains its original name and has a high historical value, due to the fact that it is where the first human settlements were made. As early as 1536 the metropolis donated some portions of land to the Spanish settlers from the Peninsula, where they made their home for many years. The historical value of this place is outstanding, one of the events that took place here was on October ... For more information...


Cajobabo Beach
This beach became a place of historical value on April 11th of 1895 when the National Hero José Martí landed in the area in order to join the fight for independence waged by the Mambi Army against the Spanish colonialism. To tour this area in the eastern-most province of Guantánamo is to retrace the path of Cuba’s Apostle up to his fall in mortal combat, an event that happened on May 19th of 1... For more information...


CAMAGÜEY
Originally named as Santa María del Puerto del Príncipe it was one of the first seven villas founded by the Spanish and its name apparently comes from the aborigine chief Camaguebax. The city, also known for its large earthenware jars (tinajones), rises up between the rivers of Tínima and Hatibonico. It boasts ancient dwellings and mansions over two centuries old. The city also features re... For more information...


CASTLE OF SAN PEDRO DE LA ROCA
The castle, also known as the Morro Castle, was constructed between 1638 and 1643 by military engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli. The fort houses the museum of piracy and is a national monument. The castle was declared World Heritage by Mr. Bernd von Droste, director of the World Heritage Center. “This is a remarkable example of Hispanic-American military architecture” said Von Droste in the procla... For more information...


CAT’S HILL (LOMA DEL GATO)
Located in the eastern municipality of Songo La Maya, the area won its place in Cuba’s history when on July 5th of 1896, the fatal combat where the legendary eastern lion (León de Oriente), José Maceo Grajales, brother of Lieutenant General Antonio Maceo was mortally wounded. José, son of a legendary lineage of titans, gave his last breath to his homeland, after fighting endlessly and bravely a... For more information...


CAVE OF SANTA CATALINA
Featuring an attractive environment, this cave is found along the road that leads into the city of Matanzas and to Varadero beach, exactly four kilometres east of the town of Carbonera. This natural site was declared a National Monument in 1996. It is characterised by eleven kilometres of subterranean galleries and features the most extraordinary secondary formations, especially interesting ar... For more information...


CEJA DEL NEGRO
This historical site is found west of the town of Pilotos, which is part of the municipality of Consolación del Sur, in the province of Pinar del Río. It was the site of a bloody battle, among the last to take place at the end of the XIX century between the Cuban Mambises troops (as the Cuban insurrectionists were called) and the Spanish Colonial Army. The skirmish became a great battle, ... For more information...


CEMETERY OF COLUMBUS
A National Monument since 1987, it is a true architect’s jewel, from its impressive portico up to the history written in marble and all types of stone in its funerary structures built during the last three centuries. The Pórtico, done in romantic style, is crowned by a sculptural ensemble created by the Cuban artist José Villalta y Saavedra and represents “Faith, Hope and Charity”, at the foot... For more information...


CIEGO DE ÁVILA
Ciego de Avila is the capital of a province whose development depends mainly on agriculture and tourism. The first settlements date back to the XVI century when a notable aborigine population started to inhabit the area. The area has a modern international airport and a Main Theatre (Teatro Principal), built in 1927, while the Church of San Eugenio de la Palma (Iglesia de San Eugenio de la Pal... For more information...


CIÉNAGA DE ZAPATA
Nature lovers consider this southeast area of Cuba a place well worth visiting, in order to admire its almost virgin forests, blue, clear water beaches, lakes and caverns and natural pools. Thirty percent of the native fauna live here, while of the 171 species of birds, 18 are native to the island. There is also a great variety of crocodiles, reaching some 15 000 individuals, as well as the manat... For more information...


CIENFUEGOS
Located some 244 kilometres from the capital, in the south central region of the country, this city features the beautiful Bay of Jagua (Bahía de Jagua), in whose deep waters abound shads, a species coveted by fishermen. Traditionally, there are rowing competitions held here and the beaches such as Rancho Luna and El Inglés are wonderful scenarios for scuba diving and contemplating the beautifu... For more information...


CIENFUEGOS BOTANICAL GARDENS
The Cienfuegos Botanical Gardens (JBC) is one of the favourites of both Cubans and foreign visitors, due to its unrivalled quality of being the country’s most ancient as well as exhibiting plant collections from the world’s five continents. Last year, over 35 thousand people enjoyed the leafy families of bamboos, orchids and palms, these last are considered among the most complete in the world... For more information...


CIENFUEGOS GENERAL CEMETERY
Due to its great historical value, it is among the sites considered as National Monuments. It is also known as Queen Cemetery (Cementerio de Reina). Twenty years after its founding, it was the first that the southern villa had, that today has become a beautiful city, where one can find combined architecture of the XIX, XX and XXI centuries. According to specialists, the gravestones of the niche... For more information...


COIN HOUSE (CASA DE LA MONEDA)
Founded on July 18th of 1977 at the intersection of Aguiar and Obrapía, in Old Havana. Since its opening and until 1989 it belonged to the Cuban National Bank (Banco Nacional de Cuba), a period in which it was dedicated mainly to coining commemorative pieces, as well as small quantities of circulating coins, among others. The present day factory opened on March sixth of 1991, featuring a more ... For more information...


COLONIAL SUGAR MILL “LA ALEJANDRÍA”
The ruins of the colonial sugar mill of La Alejandría are found to the south of the province of La Habana, in the municipality of Güines, less than three kilometres by the road that leads to the beach of El Rosario. The place was declared a National Monument on December 31st of 1981 and it includes the remains of the aqueduct, the machinery and the house of the ancient sugar mill of La Alejan... For more information...


CROCODILE NURSERY (CRIADERO DE COCODRILOS)
To visit this unique place allows one to meet the brave people that work on developing the species, after stopping the accelerated process of the crocodile’s disappearance in Cuba. This nursery, the largest in the country, located in the Zapata Swamps (Ciénaga de Zapata), is one of the best-preserved areas regarding its flora and fauna. It covers a surface area of some 600 square kilometres, a... For more information...


CUBA’S NATIONAL LIBRARY (BIBLIOTECA NACIONAL DE CUBA)
This building is among those surrounding the Revolution’s Plaza, but the institution was founded on October 18th of 1901. Its initial location, was in the Castle of the Forces (Castillo de la Fuerza) where it had only 3 151 books. It wasn’t until 1949 when by an idea of Don Fernando Ortíz, the council of sponsors decided to name the building José Martí, which would be built years later, when t... For more information...


CUBAN POLIMITA SNAILS (POLIMITAS CUBANAS)
They are of an extraordinary beauty. The ideal place for finding them and hoarding a good collection is in the most remote places of the famous Valley of Viñales (Valle de Viñales), in the western-most province of Pinar del Río, although they can be found in other areas of the national geography, but in scarcer numbers. These terrestrial molluscs of the sacricia species only live three years an... For more information...


DOLORES CHURCH. SANTIAGO DE CUBA
In its beginning it was the Church of Our Lady of Dolores (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores), built in the XVII century in a city charged with legends and history. Starting from January 1989, after the ecclesiastical authorities donated the building to Santiago de Cuba, the beautiful and well kept construction became a Concert Hall. This place is not only appreciated due to its archit... For more information...


EL CACAHUAL
Solemn group of monuments inaugurated on December 7th of 1900. Since then it honours the memory of two brave Cuban warriors, Antonio Maceo Grajales and Panchito Gómez Toro. There, a blunt column rises in the same place where both patriots were buried for the first time. This pantheon was built with money from a public collection, and on that same date a park was built that surrounds the column. Fo... For more information...


EL JIGÜE
This place is located in the mountainous municipality of Guamá. It was declared a National Monument on December 25th of 1979 and was associated with the last stage of the insurrectional process towards the end of the 1850’s. Here the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) troops held a bloody battle with the army of Fulgencio Batista’s dictatorship. This battle raged from the 11th to the 21st of July of... For more information...


EL SALADO BEACH
Located only 25 kilometres from the capital is a beach protected by the coral reefs and which is a favourite among scuba divers. The Blue Reef Diving Centre offers beginners night courses, that allow visitors to discover the mysteries of the deep in the moonlight. As part of the attractions and quite near the hotel complex is an official track for practicing carting, equipped with stands an... For more information...


EL TEMPLETE
It has become a symbol of the birth of the Villa of San Cristóbal de la Habana. It is said that in this place, located in the present day Plaza de Armas, on November 16th of 1519, the colonists and neighbours met to celebrate the first mass, and at the same time, the first meeting of the Chapter House, with the aim of definitely establishing a city blessed with the salt and water of the bay, under... For more information...


ENGLAND HOTEL (HOTEL INGLATERRA)
Located in the historical quarters of the Cuban capital, the hotel rises majestically across the street from the Paseo del Prado and the Central Park. From its balconies one can admire the Havana Bay. It is right next to the Great Havana Theatre (Gran Teatro de la Habana), the seat of Cuba’s National Ballet. It is a little over 100 metres from the Capitol building and near the Fine Arts Museum (Mu... For more information...


FORTRESS ON THE HILL (FUERTE DE LA LOMA), PUERTO PADRE
This is a beautiful city that proudly shows off its beautiful bay and the cleanliness of its streets. Over 40 000 people inhabit this town that treasures beautiful history the most significant of which if the imposing Fortress on the Hill (Fuerte de la Loma) –today converted into a museum-, built in the XIX century by the Spanish colonialists in the highest part of the region, the first place ... For more information...


FRANK PAÍS GARCÍA MUSEUM HOUSE
It opened its doors as a museum on November 30th of 1964, and since then it exhibits photographs, documents and personal objects of the País García brothers and their family. It was declared a National Monument on October 10th of 1978. The house was built during the second half of the XIX century. The brothers Frank and Josué País García, brave young men that played an important part in the ... For more information...


FRENCH COFFEE PLANTATIONS
Here in Santiago of Cuba, the French and Haitian cultural legacy can be seen, it is a part not only of its history but also of its memory and tradition. It is not a coincidence that the Archaeological Landscape (Paisaje Arqueológico) of coffee plantations is among the World Heritage sites as well as being declared a Cuban National Monument. These coffee plantations that date back to the end of... For more information...


FUERTE EL MORRILLO
Declared a National Monument in 1978, it is a preserved military construction at the mouth of the Canimar River, in the city of Matanzas. It is located in one of the fortresses that protected the city from the constant attacks of pirates, and it adopted its present day look around 1830. Pieces of aborigine archaeology are on exhibit, since the fortress was constructed in the middle of the l... For more information...


GIBARA
It is a place where ancestral ruins can be viewed, such as the Cuarterón and the Batería de Fernando VI as well as colonial architecture incredibly well preserved. The White Villa (Villa Blanca) named this way by some, shows a unique contrast between the sea and the colonial settlement. It is considered the second walled city in Cuba. Other geographical attractions are the so-called Chair ... For more information...


GIRON BEACH (PLAYA GIRÓN)
An invasion took place in April of 1961 in the well-known Bay of Pigs (Bahía de Cochinos), financed by the United States, and using elements against the Cuban Revolution. In the landing there were over 1 600 mercenaries, which were defeated in less than 72 hours. That historical event was the United States’ first military defeat in Latin America, and the place still holds many testimonies, as well... For more information...


Great Cavern of Santo Tomás
In 1954, Dr. Antonio Nuñez Jiménez led the first expedition to this site, near the tourist area of Viñales, in the Sierra del Rosario. Back then, no one could imagine that these caverns would be admired later on as the most important in Cuba, not only due to their magnitude of 45 kilometres, but also because of the scientific wealth they treasure. Later on several historic events took place... For more information...


GREAT THEATER OF HAVANA
It acquired its actual name in 1985. It was previously known as Gran Teatro de Tacón, which opened in 1838. Right from the beginning, it became internationally famous and many artists from around the world performed there. After several reforms, both to its exterior as to its interior, the building was enlarged to give way to the one existing today, and is considered a faithful recreation of the G... For more information...


Guanabacoa
On June 12th of 1554, it was founded as the Town of the Indians (Pueblo de Indios) and a year later, for the space of six months, it became the temporal capital of the island due to the attack of the French corsair Jacques de Sores. Today there are buildings related to history, among them the ancient Lyceum (Liceo Artístico y Literario), where José Martí made his first public speech in Cuba, and t... For more information...


GUANAHACABIBES PENINSULA
The Guanahacabibes peninsula is located in the easternmost region of the province. The area is covered by numerous caverns and plush vegetation. It’s a flora and fauna sanctuary and its ocean bottoms have plenty of corals. The Roncali lighthouse built in 1847 and named a ship captain dominates the very tip of the peninsula. Guanahacabibes peninsula is a natural national park declared as Reserve o... For more information...


GUANTÁNAMO
Capital of the most eastern province of Cuba with an approximate extension of 6 184 square kilometers which is only six percent of the country’s total surface area. The city is bathed by the Guaso River and the growing urban development is a constant reason of worry for its dwellers. The historical quarters together with the park are surrounded by the main roads, and are always quite an att... For more information...


HAVANA
It originated as a province in 1975 with a surface area of 5 731 square kilometres and more than 700 000 inhabitants. Among its main tourist attractions are the well-known Jaruco Stairs (Escaleras de Jaruco), located in the municipality of the same name, a unique landscape product of the same topography, where the existence of rocky outcroppings and caverns make it the ideal scenario for adven... For more information...


HAVANA CATHEDRAL (CATEDRAL DE LA HABANA)
It is an example of baroque influence on architecture in the Island. Since 1782 the building had been conceived as a sanctuary by the Jesuits, who had it built next to their seminar to honour the Purísima Concepción and San Cristóbal of La Habana, patron of the city. Years later, in 1793, the Royal Decree (Real Cédula) conferred upon it the title of Cathedral, under the order of the first bishop, ... For more information...


HAVANA CITY
Founded in 1519 as the Villa of San Cristóbal de La Habana, it is the capital of Cuba and the country’s main tourist destination. More than a century ago, the Villa was threatened by corsairs and pirates. In reply to this menace many defensive castles, walls, towers and other buildings were constructed, whose names today are familiar among the population: La Fuerza, El Morro, La Cabaña, La Chor... For more information...


HAVANA’S CHINA TOWN (BARRIO CHINO LA HABANA)
It dates back to June of 1847 when the first 260 Chinese arrived in Havana. They came filled with dreams and hopes, searching for jobs in the Spanish Crown’s most important colony. The eight-year contract that they had signed was a deceit in order to turn them into slaves. Since then this country received the Chinese people that together with the Negroes and white races, became the beautiful mi... For more information...


HEADQUARTERS OF THE II EASTERN FRONT (COMANDANCIA DEL II FRENTE ORIENTAL)
On March 11th of 1958 this military site was built with the name of II Eastern Front Frank País García (II Frente Oriental Frank País García) and was headed by Commander Raúl Castro Ruz. It covered an area of 12 000 square kilometres that includes the municipalities of Mayarí, Sagua de Tánamo, Baracoa, Yateras, Guantánamo, Alto Songo and San Luis and for the next trimester of the struggle against ... For more information...


HEADQUARTERS OF THE III EASTERN FRONT (COMANDANCIA DEL III FRENTE ORIENTAL)
The historic military site headed by the then Commander Juan Almeida Bosque was officially constituted on March 15th of 1958 and covered an area of approximately 6 022 square kilometres. This site was chosen due to the fact that the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) was ready to extend the revolutionary war to other areas of the eastern region, as of the first months of 1958, which would force the e... For more information...


HISTORICAL QUARTERS, SANTIAGO DE CUBA
The city was founded on July 25th of 1515, so that it treasures a great and important variety of fights and struggles, from those waged against Spanish colonialism up to becoming an insurmountable bastion in the resistance against Fulgencio Batista’s dictatorship. The historical quarters evolved rapidly covering an area of 2.5 square kilometres, where many examples of typical colonial and repu... For more information...


HOLGUÍN
It is the capital of the province of the same name, where Christopher Columbus, when he landed on Cuban soil, specifically in the area of Bariay, said, “This is the most beautiful land that human eyes have seen”. It has been hailed by many the city of the parks, as well as being identified by a high hill that marks what the geographical north is, and on the very peak there is a huge wooden cros... For more information...


HOUSE OF DIEGO VELAZQUEZ
Located in Santiago de Cuba, this building is known as the House of Diego Velásquez, due to the fact that the founder of the city established his offices here (lower level) and also his residence (upper level). Its construction dates back to between 1516 and 1530, and it is considered the most ancient house in Cuba. It is the seat of the Museum of the Cuban Historical Environment (Museo de Ambient... For more information...


HOUSE OF TROVA (SANTIAGO DE CUBA)
It is a picturesque institution located in the historical centre of the Heroic City (Ciudad Héroe) where authors and singers gather, bent on keeping alive the most beautiful traditions of Cuban popular music. With this purpose in mind, every year the Pepe Sánchez Trova Festival is held, where troubadours, romantics and bohemians leave their legacy at the birthplace of trova and son. You can ask yo... For more information...


IGLESIA DEL CARMEN (CHURCH OF CARMEN) AND SURROUNDING AREA
Declared a National Monument on December 11th of 1991. Located in the Plaza del Carmen along the Máximo Gómez street between San Pablo and Conyedo. The founding of the city took place on July 15th of 1689, right next to this site. Close to Arroyo de la Sabana, today called river Belico (río Bélico), the priest Fray Salvador Guillén offered the first mass. Years later, in the place where the Te... For more information...


ISABEL RUBIO STONE FOREST (BOSQUE DE PIEDRA)
This place, due to its incomparable natural beauty, was declared a National Monument and is located in the settlement of the same name, in the municipality of Guane, in the eastern province of Pinar del Río. It is located in the mountain chains of Guaniguanico (Cordillera de Guaniguanico), in the extreme eastern part of the Sierra de los Órganos, divided by the Cuyaguateje river, this being th... For more information...


ISLE OF YOUTH
Baptised by Admiral Christopher Columbus as the Evangelist (La Evangelista), after its discovery on June 13th of 1494, it is located some 100 kilometres from the fishing port of Batabanó. This is the largest isle of the 600 that are part of the Archipelago of the Canarreos and this island of a thousand names, as many have called it, was the target of pirates and buccaneers for four long centur... For more information...


Jagua Castle
One of the tourist attractions in the city of Cienfuegos, its reconstruction was finished in 1745 and it was opened with the name of Castle of our Lady of the Angels of Jagua (Castillo de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua). It has a circular tower with narrow vertical crenels. Its majestic cupola features a loophole that resembles an alert eye over the calm marine waters. This attractive ... For more information...


JIMAGUAYÚ
The war was reinforced in the eastern provinces of Oriente, Camagüey and Las Villas, during the days of September 13 to 16th of 1895, due to the fact that a meeting was held in Jimaguayú, a historical site of the restructuring by Agramonte. The representatives of the Cuban revolutionaries in arms gathered in order to establish the laws by which the young Revolution would continue its path to vic... For more information...


La Caridad Theater. Santa Clara
A unique architectural building located in the heart of the city of Santa Clara (276 kilometres east of Havana) which opened on September 8th of 1885 and was declared a National Monument of Cuba in 1981. The building was constructed thanks to the generosity of Marta Abreu de Estévez, a member of an illustrious and wealthy family of the area, who financed it’s building and later on donated it to t... For more information...


La Demajagua
It is a place of true patriotic value to the Cubans, due to the fact that the father of the Homeland (Padre de la Patria), Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, announced the start of the first war of independence against Spanish colonialism on October 10th of 1868. Céspedes, a man of progressive ideas and a fervent promoter of independence, had decided to establish himself there two years before buying the ... For more information...


LA DOMINICA BUILDING
Built in 1849 it is located in the Plaza of Cristóbal Colón, where the city of Cardenas was founded and also its political, administrative and cultural centre, very near Varadero Beach. This building has had several social uses and has witnessed several historical events, some of the most notable being the lodging of the generals of the Mambi army: Máximo Gómez Báez, Antonio Maceo Grajales and ... For more information...


LA GRAN PIEDRA (THE GREAT STONE)
This peculiar monolith has an extension of 8,295.33 acres and it is located in the Sierra Maestra National Park 18.64 mi from Santiago de Cuba. The rock is 738.19 ft above sea level; specialists estimate it weighs 70, 000 tons. The stone 167.32 ft long, 98.43 ft wide, and 85.30 ft high was included in the Guinnes Records Book. Temperature drops of 4.00 degrees Celsius and a dense fog has been re... For more information...


LA IGNACIA MONUMENT
This monument marks the place where the Independence War of the east was reborn on February 24th of the year of 1895. The event, known as the Cry of Ibarra (Grito de Ibarra) was organised by the National Hero José Martí from his exile and directed in this territory by two great personalities of Cuba’s history: Juan Gualberto Gómez and Antonio López Coloma. This is a perpetual tribute of remembr... For more information...


LA JUNTA LOCOMOTIVE ENGINE
This engine was manufactured in 1843 and is considered the most ancient of those existing in Cuba and has been declared a National Monument. It is the pride of the Cuban Railway Museum (Museo del Ferrocarril Cubano) which is located in the hundred year old Cristina Station (Estación Cristina), in the centre of Havana City. It was the insignia locomotive engine of the Matanzas Railways and boast... For more information...


La Loma Fortress, Puerto Padre
The antique and preserved military building, raised around the late XIX century, located at the riverside of Las Tunas City’s Bay, 700 kms far from the Cuban capital. The architectural structure was raised with limestone, quicklime and a sort of clay that is very abundant in the region and some specialists think it is much alike to constructions from Sahara Desert, in Africa than those conceived b... For more information...


La Periquera
This ancient mansion is found along the Frexes street of Holguin, across from the Calixto García Park, in the very heart of the city and it houses this north western province’s museum. It is a building that treasures a wealth of history, and there is a beautiful popular legend that says that this building had a tunnel that tunnelled under the plaza and ended at the Cross Hill (Loma de la Cruz), wh... For more information...


LA RINCONADA
It was the main campsite of Mayor General Calixto García, Head of the Eastern Department, due to its security and natural characteristics. Over half a century later, during the struggle of the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde), the forces of Column #1 José Martí led by Commander in Chief Fidel Castro Ruz installed their main camp here. From this strategic place, Fidel Castro directed his milit... For more information...


LAS TUNAS
This city offers the visitor a well preserved historical quarter that was founded in 1759 and today is known as the city of the sculptures, since it exhibits some 70 monumental works, especially those by Rita Longa. The vitality of its varied native culture, whose most faithful example can be seen in the celebration of the always welcome “Jornada Cucalambeana”, held in honour of Juan Cristóbal ... For more information...


LATIN AMERICAN STADIUM
Located in the capital municipality of El Cerro, it rises up as one of the most symbolic Cuban sports installations and is a main scenario of baseball, the national sport of the Island. It was opened on October 26th of 1946. It treasures a history full of important episodes beyond sports achievements. It is next to the busy Corner of Tejas (Esquina de Tejas) a place of the confluence of the avenu... For more information...


LEONCIO VIDAL PARK. (SANTA CLARA)
Its history dates back to the founding of the Villa, when a square of 1 600 metres was marked out in order to build the Plaza de Armas. In the area of the present day park, bull fights, equitation competitions, plays and all kinds of games, such as cards and dice, are held. Every 15th of July, on the anniversary of the Villa’s founding, the people of Santa Clara celebrate with huge parties in ... For more information...


LEVISA KEY
Full of attractive niches created by nature, this paradise is located north of the province of Pinar del Río, a few minutes from the docking point of Palma Rubia on the coast. It is part of the archipelago of Los Colorados, that crowns the north-western coast of Cuba. The virginal beach, featuring sea bottoms full of attractive corals and marine species, some of which are: parrot fish, barber ... For more information...


LOMA DEL INTENDENTE AND SURROUNDING AREA
Santiago de Cuba, Heroic City of the Republic of Cuba, became a living historical monument related with the events of November 30th of 1956, when a group of young men led by Frank País, backing up the landing of the men on the Granma yacht, with Fidel Castro at the head of 81 men, raised up the whole city. Here the Museum of Clandestine Struggle (Museo de la Lucha Clandestina) has been located sin... For more information...


LOS PORTALES CAVE (CUEVA DE LOS PORTALES)
Commander Ernesto Che Guevara established his operations centre here, during the October Crisis or Caribbean Crisis of October 1962. The cave was declared a National Monument and is located in the area of San Andrés, between the Sierras del Rosario and the Sierra de Los Órganos, in the province of Pinar del Río. In addition to its historical importance, the place has become a tourist attractio... For more information...


MANACAS IZNAGA TOWER
Today one can still admire as a vestige of the ancient grandeur of the surrounding area of Trinidad, the elegant bell tower of the Manacas-Iznaga sugar mill, declared together with the city of Trinidad, a National Monument. One can also see the house of the ancient Bella Vista sugar mill, built in the fourth decade of the nineteenth century by the wealthy Don Pedro Malibrán, in the most severe... For more information...


MANGOS DE BARAGUÁ
This place is in the Mella municipality, in the province of Santiago de Cuba and was declared a National Monument on October 10th of 1978 due to its significance in the struggles for independence. On March 15th of 1878 the famous Baragua Protest (Protesta de Baraguá) took place. It was one of the most dignified and glorious events in the struggles of the Cuban Mambi Army against the Spanish Co... For more information...


MANTUA
One of the fourteen municipalities of the province of Pinar del Río which boasts the condition of National Monument, since it was where General Antonio Maceo ended his invasion from the East to the West (Oriente a Occidente) of the country, during the struggle against Spanish Colonialism in 1895. The cultural legacy of this area has been maintained, thanks to the work and creative talent of tho... For more information...


MANZANILLO
This beautiful coastal city features an intensely blue sea, is second in importance in the province, but also its main port. Here, there are many historical sites, such as “La Demajagua” sugar mill, which used to be the property of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, who freed his slaves in 1868 and invited them to fight for Cuba’s independence. Also worth visiting is the Cuban Nationality House (Casa d... For more information...


MARIA LA GORDA BEACH
Located in the far western area of the province of Pinar del Río, its crystalline waters are an invitation for spending the hours in an attractive spot. A good part of the black coral reserves can be found there as well as many varieties of fish, crustaceans and sponges. An important detail favouring the beach is that right in this area, in the cove of Corrientes is the International Scuba Di... For more information...


MARTE SQUARE. SANTIAGO DE CUBA
Also identified as Liberty Plaza (Plaza de la Libertad) it is one of the favourite spots of the people of the Heroic City (Ciudad Héroe), and of its visitors. It is among one of the most central and elevated points in the midst of the city’s vital arteries such as Aguilera, José A. Saco streets and it is the starting point of the popular Victoriano Garzón avenue. The well known Liberty Column... For more information...


Martí Park, Cienfuegos
In the year of 1906 it was named for the National Hero after a central ensemble of sculptures was built in it, from an idea by the Italian artist Giovanni Nocolini. Fourteen years later the pedestal was built for the statue that symbolises the Republic. Since 1865 the area was enhanced by the presence of two lions sculpted in marble. The Arch of the Workers (Arco de los Obreros) is also from this ... For more information...


MARTÍN INFIERNO CAVERN
This important natural site is a cavern of enormous dimensions, whose initial formation dates back to the Pliocene Pleistocene. It is found in the upper part of Río Hondo, which drains its waters towards the southern coast. This is part of the northern slope of the Guamuaya mountain massif, in the municipality of Cumanayagua. The cavern features the tallest stalagmite in Cuba and one of the lar... For more information...


MATANZAS
With the name of San Carlos and San Severino of Matanzas it was founded on October 12th of 1693 and today has a surface area of almost 12 000 square kilometres and over 700 000 inhabitants. It is known as the Athens of Cuba. The city is divided by the San Juan River (río San Juan) and is characterised by its cultural development, whose most significant expression is the Sauto Theatre (Teatro Sau... For more information...


MELLA PLAZA
Located at the intersection of the streets of San Lázaro and Neptuno, right in front of the stone steps of the University of Havana. This site, declared a National Monument, contains the ashes of Julio Antonio Mella, founder of the Student University Federation (Federación Estudiantil Universitaria: FEU) and of the first Communist Party of Cuba. The black and white contrasting shades of its... For more information...


MODEL PRISON (PRESIDIO MODELO)
The Cuban President of the period (1925) wanted to establish in the Isle of Pines (the present day Isle of Youth) a prison similar to the one in Illinois, United States of America, and that is how it came into being. Soon the prison became a place where the most unheard of forced labour was carried out among the penal population, victims of many murders for decades. In 1933 there were over 578... For more information...


MONCADA GARRISON (CUARTEL MONCADA)
Its history started in 1859 when the first stone was placed on what was initially known as the Garrison of the New Prison (cuartel del Nuevo Presidio), because it was destined to serve as a departmental prison for the province of Santiago de Cuba. By decision of the colonial government of Spain, it was also called Garrison of Queen Mercedes and since 1902 it became the Moncada Garrison. In an atte... For more information...


MONUMENTAL COMPLEX OF ANTONIO MACEO (SAN PEDRO)
Located in an attractive area of the Bauta municipality, it is one of the most venerated spots in the province of La Habana, adjacent to the capital. This is where Lieutenant General of the Liberating Army (Ejército Libertador) Antonio Maceo and his assistant, Captain Panchito Gómez Toro, fell in combat; a painful event that happened on December 7th of 1896. The complex encompasses an ar... For more information...


MORÓN
Also known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo), it is the closest settlement to the isles of the King’s Gardens (Jardines del Rey) and Turiguanó, a Dutch settlement founded in the sixties decade of the XIX century, and the lagoon of La Redonda (45 square kilometres) where there is an international fishing centre. These are places the visitor must see in the province. It features the ... For more information...


MORON ROOSTER (GALLO DE MORÓN)
Time has not been able to erase the night of May 2nd of 1982, when the Morón Rooster, in the province of Ciego de Ávila, returned to its pedestal in order to proclaim itself as an undeniable symbol of this town. Some time before this date, intense days of hard labour working on the statue of considerable size and delicate shapes, awaited the Cuban artist Rita Longa, who endeavoured to craft it as ... For more information...


Municipal Government, Santiago de Cuba
It is located in one of the corners of the legendary Céspedes Park and the building was conceived as a Municipal Palace, a function that it maintains today. Located within the Plaza Mayor, a central area where the buildings representing the colonial government were concentrated. It is built along the lines of the colonial architecture of the time period and was opened on October 18th of 1954. ... For more information...


MUNICIPAL HISTORICAL ARCHIVES (ARCHIVO HISTÓRICO MUNICIPAL) (Vivac)
Exactly in 1515 the Church of Santa Catalina (Iglesia Santa Catalina) was built here, and in 1522 it became the headquarters of the first Cathedral of Cuba, which was destroyed in 1828 by an earthquake, leaving a deserted landscape. Later on, a public jail was built and opened on November 17th of 1845. In its cells many patriots, personalities and revolutionaries suffered imprisonment here, am... For more information...


MUSEUM OF THE UNKNOWN SOVIET SOLDIER
A suggestive mausoleum dedicated to an internationalist soviet soldier, it was opened in Cuba on February 23rd of 1978 with the idea of honouring those fallen during the help offered to the Revolutionary Armed Forces. It is located to one side of the national highway that unites the capital with the town of San Antonio de los Baños. The sober and stern shape of the monument contrasts with t... For more information...


MUSEUM-HOUSE OF DULCE MARÍA LOYNAZ
The residence of the famous poetess, National Literature Prize (1988) and Cervantes Prize (1992), was converted into a Museum honouring the most talented Cuban writer of the XX century (1902-1997). This building was restored with the cooperation of the Junta de Andalucía and Cuba, and it housed great celebrities of Spanish literature such as Federico García Lorca and Gabriela Mistral. The pl... For more information...


NARANJO BAY. (HOLGUÍN)
Its natural environment is a strong tourist attraction because of the infinite beauty created by nature, it is located along the road that leads to the exquisite beach of Guardalavaca. The so called natural park of Naranjo Bay (Bahía de Naranjo) is made up of five small isles and the largest -Cayo Jutía- is developing a mini- zoo of Cuban fauna. Cristóbal Colón Park includes over 5 500 hectar... For more information...


NATAL HOUSE OF RUBÉN MARTÍNEZ VILLENA
It is one of the buildings that was declared a National Monument due to its historical importance, located on Avenue 91 number 8 427, in Alquilar, in the southwest of Havana. Here Rubén Martínez Villena was born, who fought for social improvement in the country during the thirties decade of the past century. Typical walls and wooden flooring, tile roofs, earth patio and portal, were details of ... For more information...


NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Founded on January 23rd of 1960 with only a few fish tanks and ponds, thirteen years later it received its first marine mammal, a sea lion (Artocephalus pusillus) baptised with the name Silvia. In 1985 the shows started with Diana and Ciclón, two bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). On January 14th of 2002 the first stage in the enlargement was finished, where a dolphin area was included ... For more information...


NATIONAL CAPITOL
A monumental building located almost at the end of the famous Havana Paseo del Prado. It was built during the years of 1926 to 1929 and in the beginning harboured the legislative corps of the Republic. The National Capitol became one of the symbols that distinguish not only Havana City but also Cuba. To roam its inner chambers is to discover rooms and hallways that are historical treasures, such ... For more information...


National Hotel of Cuba
Declared a National Monument by the Ministry of Cuban Culture and a Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO, it is located in a privileged sea front area from which most of the Havana Bay can be seen, as well as the malecon and the Vedado neighbourhood. With a five star category, this legendary hotel features over 400 rooms, most of them with a seaside view, of these 16 are suites and one is a Pre... For more information...


National Sanctuary of the Virgin in El Cobre
The Temple of El Cobre (Ermita de El Cobre), only 19 kilometres from Santiago of Cuba, has become a traveller’s destination, because it is the main site of the Virgin of the Caridad del Cobre, patron saint of the Cuban Catholics. Her altar was built in marble and her silhouette is generally situated as facing the chapel of the Sanctuary, which is entered through the back, located above the “Ch... For more information...


NATIONAL ZOO PARK
With two centres in the capital, it carries out multiple tasks such as recreational, educational, cultural and research activities related to native and exotic fauna in captivity. It has become a centre for exhibiting Cuban and foreign fauna and at the same time it controls protected or endangered species, carrying out research in order to guarantee their reproduction and raising in captivity. It ... For more information...


NORMAL SCHOOL FOR TEACHERS (ESCUELA NORMAL PARA MAESTROS)
It has been declared a National Monument since 1997. It was built at the beginning of the XX century with donations from the American state of Massachusetts and funds from the Cuban state. The first Model School (Escuela Modelo) for grade students was located here, and later in 1916 the Eastern Normal School (Escuela Normal de Oriente). It teachers were made up of famous personalities of Cuban ... For more information...


NUEVITAS
It was officially founded as a city in 1818, although its history dates back to November 18th of 149, when Christopher Columbus landed on its shores and in a beautiful place lacking trees he raised a great cross, naming it Puerto Príncipe (Prince’s Port), as well as naming a group of isles the King’s Gardens (Jardines del Rey) and the bay or gulf that bathed its shores, Our Lady’s Sea (Mar de Nue... For more information...


OLD HAVANA
Hailed by UNESCO as a Heritage of Humanity, it treasures dozens of places in a quite flat area of about 4,5 square kilometres. Ancient fortresses, palaces built during the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries, museums of enormous historical value, emblematic restaurants such as La Bodeguita del Medio or the Plaza of Havana’s Cathedral (Plaza de la Catedral de la Havana), surrounded by centuries-old bu... For more information...


Padre Pico Street
Padre Pico Street is one of the more picturesque places of the Heroic City of Santiago of Cuba (Ciudad Héroe de Santiago de Cuba) located in the city’s centre. It was first named Cuesta de Amuedo, later on as Hospital Street and then Loma de Corpacho. This unique street in Santiago adopted its current name in 1942 in honour of the priest Bernardo del Pico (1726-1813) a man who dedicated his l... For more information...


PALACE OF JUSTICE (PALACIO DE JUSTICIA)
This building was declared a National Monument on July 10 of 1998, according to Resolution No.151 of the National Monument Commission (Comisión Nacional de Monumentos). The building was built in the decade of the forties in the XX century and it celebrated two public audiences related to causes number 37 of 1953 and number 67 of1956. The first was the trial against the survivors of the revo... For more information...


Palmar del Junco Stadium
Located in the heart of the city of Matanzas, capital of the province of the same name, it is some 100 kilometres from Havana City. It was built in 1847 and treasures the historical event of Cuba’s first baseball game that took place there in 1874. The Cuban Hall of Fame of this sport has been planned to be created here, due to the historical significance of this stadium, where baseball games hav... For more information...


PASO DE LAS DAMAS, TAGUASCO
Paso de las Damas, another place in this historic municipality, is where Major General Serafín Sánchez Valdivia fell in mortal combat. He was a hero of the three wars of Independence. Serafín Sánchez Valdivia was born in Sancti Spíritus, in 1846. He joined the insurrectional movement in Las Villas from the beginning. He fought bravely during the War of Ten Years (Guerra de los Diez Años) and al... For more information...


PINAR DEL RIO
Pinar Del Río is the capital city if the easternmost province of Cuba. The present name was given to it in 1778. The province a territorial extension of 6,788.48 sq mi and has a little over 700,000 inhabitants. The province is located 93.21 mi east of the City of Havana. Pinar Del Río is a bucolic and attractive city with an architecture predominantly characterized by red-tiles roofs and the pres... For more information...


PINOS DE BAIRE
The Spanish Army tried to take back this area after the fall of the city of Bayamo into insurrectional hands on October 20th of 1868. The Cuban Mambi troops led by the Dominican Sargent Máximo Gómez Báez were in charge of detaining the advance of these troops in the area of Baire. The action was carried out by the local troops mainly using the machete as weapon. From this point on the use of th... For more information...


PLAZA OF THE REVOLUTION
This is quite an emblematic place for the Cubans due to the fact that on this wide esplanade many political, cultural or recreational acts have taken place. The Plaza is surrounded by many buildings, such as the National Theatre (Teatro Nacional) and the National Library (Biblioteca Nacional), as well as the Ministries of Communications, the Revolutionary Armed Forces and of the Interior, whos... For more information...


Prehistory Mural, Viñales
Being intrinsic part of the attractive valley and its mogotes of unsurpassable natural beauty, it is located at Pinar del Río-based Viñales Valley, one of the major places of great tourist attraction in the Cuban western province. It is the Prehistory Mural and as part of the comfortable environment amidst the countryside it boasts an assorted cafeteria and a restaurant, plus the charming camping ... For more information...


PUERTO ESPERANZA
Puerto Esperanza is a small population of 5, 000 inhabitants. Viñales was founded in 1879 consequently Puerto Esperanza has the same foundation date. Fishing and agriculture are the main activities of the inhabitants of this village. The breath taking beauty of the landscape and the seascape make this place worthwhile visiting. It is located 14.91 mi from Viñales.  For more information...


QUINTA DE LOS MOLINOS
The century old building is found on Salvador Allende Avenue, previously called Carlos III. It has been transformed into a Museum that honours the memory of the Mambi General Máximo Gómez and in 1986 it was declared a National Monument. It was built in the second half of the XIX century with the idea that it serve as a summer residence for the Spanish Captain Generals of the Republic, and at t... For more information...


REMAINS OF THE TRAIL (TROCHA) FROM JÚCARO TO MORÓN
A brief history of the Trail (Trocha) from Júcaro to Morón. In the wars of 1868 and 1895, the Trocha was an insurmountable barrier, as the Spanish thought, and after it was finished, it became the most perfect and sophisticated military construction that the Spanish Colonialism had in America. Of course it was never a deterrent for the glorious Mambi Army (Ejército Mambí), who in both wars kep... For more information...


REMEDIOS
San Juan de los Remedios was the eighth villa founded by the Spanish in 1515. The historical centre was declared a National Monument in 1980 and has a unique plaza, since it is the only one in the country where two churches stand: Our Lady of the Good Trip (Nuestra Señora del Buen Viaje) and the Parroquia Mayor, in the latter there is a huge altar gilded in gold leaf and a sculpture representing t... For more information...


ROCALI LIGHTHOUSE
It has challenged the years and won, it has been a mute witness of shipwrecks, as well as the ferocious attacks of pirates. Its solid structure has resisted the furious winds and lashing rains of several hurricanes that have struck an environment rich in fauna and featuring exuberant plant life. This building which is 33 metres high is one of the 17 lighthouses working today on the Island, mai... For more information...


Ruins of Angerona Coffee Plantation, Cienfuegos
This Cuban National Monument is less than five kilometres from the road that leads to the town of Artemisa, 60 kilometres west of the capital, to the neighbourhood of Cayajabos. These ruins that are a quaint reminder of the period of slavery, rise up out of the environment dominated by dense foliage. The legend surrounding a love story that took place here in the year of 1822 is the main theme... For more information...


SABANA-CAMAGÜEY ARCHIPELAGO
This is the largest archipelago of those that surround the island of Cuba and is part of the province of Ciego de Ávila. The most famous, the Gardens of the King (Jardines del Rey) is of astounding beauty and is one of the main tourist destinies of beaches in the country. Its marine bottoms are protected by a coral reef that is the second most extensive in the world, because the first is in A... For more information...


SAN ANTONIO DE LOS BAÑOS
This region is home to the International Humour Festival (Bienal Internacional del Humor), exhibiting pieces from the first known caricature of the country to the modern works of today. This is the seat of the International Cinema School (Escuela Internacional de Cine), an institution visited by many outstanding personalities such as the Nobel Prize Gabriel García Márquez. It is the main c... For more information...


SAN DIEGO DE LOS BAÑOS
San Diego de los Baños, located in the south west region of the province distant 74.56 mi from the City of Havana, is a place of insurmountable beauty. It is flanked by La Guira and its natural park to its northern end and by the Cueva de los Portales of great natural and historical values to its east side. The small town of 4,000 inhabitants boasts one of the most important mineral waters spas i... For more information...


SAN FRANCISCO DE ASIS CONVENT
Located in the historical area of the Cuban capital, this convent has been named by UNESCO as a Patrimony of Humanity. The plaza which accesses it is considered as one of the first three in Havana due to its antiquity. It is named Plaza de San Francisco de Asis because it was built by the Franciscan monks who started construction on both the convent and the plaza in 1574 and finished in 1591. ... For more information...


San Juan de Dios Square
The existence of this unequalled spot in the city of Camagüey dates back to the XVIII century (1728), according to documents from the ancient villa of Santa María of Puerto del Príncipe. The name of the architectural ensemble comes from the order of the Brothers of Saint John of God (Hermanos de San Juan de Dios). The majestic colonial architecture has been preserved in the legendary city and ... For more information...


SAN JUAN Y MARTÍNEZ–SAN LUIS
Located some 15.53 mi from Pinar del Río and 111.85 mi west of Havana, these municipalities are closely related to tobacco growing and Havana cigar production. This is region of where the best tobacco is grown. The whole process undergone by tobacco to become a Havana cigar is an attraction visitors may experience: the tobacco plantations, the Drying houses, and the selection of the best leaves. T... For more information...


SAN LORENZO
Located in the municipality of III Frente Oriental Mario Muñoz Monroy, in Santiago de Cuba it occupies a place in history for being the site where the Father of the Homeland (Padre de la Patria), Carlos Manuel de Céspedes lived out his last days. Céspedes was the first president of the Republic of Cuba in Arms (República de Cuba en armas) and later on was deposed due to misunderstandings, retir... For more information...


SANCTI SPIRITUS
Sancti Spiritus is a province where there are many tourist attractions, among them the Villa of the Holy Trinity (Villa de la Santísima Trinidad), some 67 kilometres from the Villa del Espíritu Santo, capital of the province of Sancti Spíritus. It was founded in 1514 and is among the first seven cities established by the Spanish on the island. Among the places to visit are the Church (Igles... For more information...


SANTA CLARA
Capital of the province of Villa Clara, its founding dates back to 1689. It is some 270 kilometres east of Havana. It is a typical city and many of its inhabitants live in brick houses with red clay roof tiles, in a quaint reminder of small Spanish villages. Many identify it as the city of Che, due to the fact that in this city the Heroic Warrior fought at the head of his invading column for ... For more information...


SANTA IFIGENIA CEMETERY
The cemetery was inaugurated on April 22nd 1868. it has an extension of 264,058.40 sq ft and it’s regarded as a museum. Several illustrious Cubans are buried here: National Hero José Martí; Founding Father Carlos Manuel de Céspedes; Mariana Grajales, mother of the Maceo brothers; Frank País, murdered during the Batista dictatorship. The cemetery is plethoric of funeral art samples in a magnific... For more information...


SANTA ISABEL DE LAS LAJAS
This is where Bartolomé “Benny” Moré was born, a man who became the most popular singer of boleros, sones and guarachas in the history of Cuban music. Without studying music, he was able to write quite a number of songs and compositions, that came to life by way of the orchestra that he directed during the last years of his turbulent life. Benny, among his vast repertoire, dedicated a song t... For more information...


SANTIAGO DE CUBA
Santiago is the capital city of the province of the same name. Santiago de Cuba has a unique history, very distinctive people, and musical roots enriched by the mixture of races and cultures that make this city the most Caribbean city of Cuba. The city is the only Cuban city to hold the title of “Hero City of the Republic of Cuba”. The streets of city are full of historic events by its brave peo... For more information...


SIERRA MAESTRA
The Sierra is found to the south of the province of Granma and is the highest mountain chain in Cuban geography. The peak of the Turquino mountain (pico real del Turquino) is 1730 metres above sea level. The Sierra is the birthplace of the province’s most important rivers, among them El Cauto, the longest of the Cuban rivers, together with others such as Cautillo, Contramaestre, Bayamo, Guisa, Gua... For more information...


SOROA
Soroa is a paradisiacal place located in the western region of the province just 31.07 mi from the City Of Havana. Soroa has an orchid garden with more than 700 species, 150 of them are Cuban. Swimming in the waterfall pond is an additional pleasure you don’t want to miss. The water falls 68.90 ft and due to the intense sunlight rainbows form that’s why many refer to Soroa as the “Rainbow of Cub... For more information...


TEMPLE OF POTOSI (ERMITA DEL POTOSÍ)
This ancient building was declared a National Monument on April 23rd of 1997. It is located in the angle formed by the Calzada de Guanabacoa and Potosí Street in the historical capital, also known as the Villa of Pepe Antonio, and occupies an outstanding place in history and legends. The Temple was built in 1644 as a tribute to the Immaculate Concepción de María. It is built in Moroccan sty... For more information...


The Butterfly (National Flower)
On October 13th of 1936 the Butterfly (Mariposa) was declared the national flower. Its scientific name is Hedychium Coronarium Koenig, from the Zingiberáceas family (alpináceans). It is not native of the island, but originated in Asia, nevertheless it has adapted itself very well to our moist earth. Its whiteness represents the purity of the ideas of independence and it is a symbol of peace. Accor... For more information...


THE NINE O’CLOCK CANNON FIRE (EL CAÑONAZO DE LAS NUEVE)
Every day, always at nine at night, a good part of Havana hears the deep sound of a familiar shot. It is the traditional cannon shot that marks exactly 2100 hours. This is carried out by skilled hands operating an ancient cannon that shoots a blank from the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña (Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña), from where the Havana City landscape can be gazed upon. The ni... For more information...


THE PLACE WHERE JOSÉ ANTONIO ECHEVERRÍA FELL
This historical place is located almost at the intersection of L and 27th streets in the area of El Vedado, in the capital. This place, declared a National Monument, was where José Antonio Echeverría Bianchi (1932-1957) was gunned down on March 13th of 1957. He was a student of architecture and acted as president of the FEU. He had started to fight since March 10th of 1952, the date of Ful... For more information...


THE PLACE WHERE THE GUAIMARO ASSEMBLY (ASAMBLEA DE GUÁIMARO) WAS HELD
As an adequate precursor for such great history, the first Constitution of the Republic in Arms was held at Guáimaro, a territory located east of Camagüey, where the main protagonists of the insurrection met in April of 1869, only a few months after the beginning of the first struggle for the nation’s freedom. In this encounter, in which the bravest representatives of independence took part,... For more information...


TRINIDAD
The Villa of Trinidad, the third founded in the country, was originally located along the shores of the Tuinucú River, and later moved to the shores of the Yayabo River in 1552. It features many cultural and architectural values, as well as beautiful landscapes that form harmonic scenery enjoyed by many visitors. Declared a Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in December of 1998 it invites one to t... For more information...


TRIUNVIRATO
This monument erected in memory of the Rebel Slave (Esclavo Rebelde) is found on the land belonging to the ancient sugar mill of Triunvirato, founded in the XIX century, a period in which many sugar mills were set up and started functioning in the Matanzas area. Precisely here, events of such transcendental importance took place on November fifth of 1843, that they provoked the burst of the g... For more information...


TROPICANA CABARET
This cabaret was founded in 1939, and soon this Paradise under the stars became the favourite of those visiting the Cuban capital. This is one of the largest night clubs in the country and among its many options are restaurants, the lounge under the stars and the incomparable show awing almost a thousand spectators. On Tropicana’s stage many famous celebrities have performed, such as Nat King ... For more information...


TURQUINO ROYAL PEAK (PICO REAL DEL TURQUINO)
Declared a National Monument, its summit is 1 974 metres above sea level, a part of the mountain massif of the Sierra Maestra and it is the highest elevation in the country. This mountain scenario covers some 17 450 hectares in the provinces of Santiago de Cuba and Granma. Where many native species dwell among the rivers, forests, abundant flora and fauna. The area was the main operations theat... For more information...


TWO RIVERS (DOS RÍOS)
TWO RIVERS (DOS RÍOS) For more information...


UNIVERSITY OF HAVANA
This centre of superior studies treasures an enormous amount of historical events and places, from its challenging 88 stone steps, to the statue of the Alma Máter and that of Ignacio Agramonte, the well preserved areas where important studies were carried out by famous students such as Cuba’s President Fidel Castro. The Mella Memorial, which holds the ashes of the young student who founded the... For more information...


URBAN RESIDENTIAL AREA OF PUNTA GORDA, CIENFUEGOS
 For more information...


UVERO
A memorable battle of the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) against the troops of Batista’s dictatorship took place in this area of the present day municipality of Guamá on May 28th of 1957. Commander in Chief Fidel Castro led the combat. It is known as the greatest battle fought by the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) and was a starting point for developing the insurrectional struggle against the en... For more information...


VALLEY OF THE SUGAR MILLS (VALLE DE LOS INGENIOS)
Located near the legendary city of Trinidad, with its 277 square kilometres of land, is this wonderful work of nature in the mountain massif of the Escambray, in the province of Sancti Spiritus. The UNESCO named the Valley as a Heritage of Humanity in 1988. In it are located a total of 77 archaeological sites of what was the birth of the Cuban sugar industry during the Spanish colonization. Th... For more information...


VARADERO
Is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and is located in the Icacos Peninsula with some 22 kilometres of admirable fine white sand beaches and different tones of azure tinted ocean. This area is visited yearly by hundreds of thousands of people from around the world. All kinds of conditions are available in order to satisfy the most demanding tastes, from its modern interna... For more information...


VIÑALES
Viñales is the most famous of the tourist destinations in Cuba. The landscape is uniquely beautiful dotted with several “mogotes” and tobacco plantations, tobacco drying houses, and peasant’s typical houses. The Viñales Valley is located in the Organos Sierra and it has been declared World Natural Landscape by UNESCO. The region’s flora and fauna is very exclusive and there are the largest and mor... For more information...


WORKER’S NATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF CUBA (CONFEDERACIÓN NACIONAL OBRERA DE CUBA )
This institution was founded on August 2nd of 1925 and was a significant step for the Cuban worker’s movement. The first congress was held on that day in Camagüey, but the seat was later transferred to the present day capital municipality of Centro Habana, along San Miguel street, between Lucena and Marqués González streets, where the building is located. The building previously had been the ancie... For more information...


Yaguaramas: the place where Henry Reeve, the Englishman (“El Inglesito”) fell in combat
It is a monument located along the road of Yaguaramas to Horquita, Abreus At the place called "El Cayo del Inglés", between Yaguaramas and Horquita, in the municipality of Abreus, a modest monument was erected in memory of the place where Henry Reeve "El Inglesito", brigadier of the Liberating Army (Ejército Libertador) fell in combat, in August of 1876. The Obelisk, in the shape of a column o... For more information...

 


Ads By CiberSpaces
CUBAsports
...Extraordinary Sportsmen. Why are Cubans such talented athletes? How many gold medals have been won? How do they train? Local sports results. Sport is Cuba's national passion, baseball is the favourite. Take a look inside Cuba's sports scene...

CUBAFun
...Fun, fun, fun. This is our focus with this site. Night-life, dancing, beach parties, group activities. Whether you want to skydive or just visit the hot clubs, cubafun.com will provide you with as much 'fun' as you need! Interactive responses to your email questions available...

CUBAfirst
...Since the introduction of the # 77 foreign investment law in 1995, Cuba has become an excellent foreign investment venue. Real estate, Tourism, Hotels, manufacturing and many other sectores. Our onsite team can walk you through every aspect of an investment, from the dream to reality...

CUBANCulture
...Cuban culture, what makes the Cubans 'tick'? Racial mixes, music, art, cultures by region, food, local drinks and much more. Find out about celebrities and how they came to be.

CUBAOne
...If you are single or a couple, you need not feel alone in Cuba. This site specifically focuses upon those people who need "a friend onsite". Take a look at the individual activities, single room rates, best "sole traveler" prices, excitement and fun. Our onsite team will "make it happen". 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

CUBAadvice
..Advice. It's free and current on this site, don't travel without printing these pages! You may not need a tour guide, when you have read these pages. Every morcel of 'advice' from various sources. Interactive questions answered immediately...

CUBAVip
…We do our best to provide you with the most precise and updated information about Cuba. We have a diversity of topics, images, simplified search, and new pages devoted to online sales for tourists and business persons interested in investing on the island.
  • Casa La Mansion Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa La Mansion Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa La Mansion is located in the Miramar district of Havana, considered by many as the ideal place to stay in Havana, with its up-market ambience, broad tree shaded 5th avenue, parks and beautiful villas and impressive mansions. Just a 15 minute drive into Vedado, Centro Habana and Old Havana; it's an exceptional location due to its tranquility and abundance of high class Casa Particulares and private Paladar Restaurants. Right from your base at Casa La Mansion you'll be able [...]
  • Casa Luxury House 29 Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa Luxury House 29 Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa Luxury House 29 is located in the Miramar district of Havana, considered by many as the ideal place to stay in Havana, with its up-market ambience, broad tree shaded 5th avenue, parks and beautiful villas and impressive mansions. Just a 15 minute drive into Vedado, Centro Habana and Old Havana; it's an exceptional location due to its tranquility and abundance of high class Casa Particulares and private Paladar Restaurants. Right from your base at Casa Luxury House 29 you'll [...]
  • Casa Villa Sole Cuba Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa Villa Sole Cuba Havana | Homestay Guest House Miramar Havana Cuba
    Casa Villa Sole Cuba is located in the Miramar district of Havana, considered by many as the ideal place to stay in Havana, with its up-market ambience, broad tree shaded 5th avenue, parks and beautiful villas and impressive mansions. Just a 15 minute drive into Vedado, Centro Habana and Old Havana; it's an exceptional location due to its tranquility and abundance of high class Casa Particulares and private Paladar Restaurants. Right from your base at Casa Villa Sole Cuba you'll [...]
  • Botanical Gardens Pinar del Rio
    Botanical Gardens Pinar del Rio
    The Pinar del Rio Botanic Gardens offers treasures like 170 species of fruit trees, exotic plants in barely 45 hectares. The herbarium has an astounding array of 5 500 samples of some 800 species and 200 families representatives of species native to the six ecosystems of the province of Pinar del Rio. For plant lover a photographic tour of this place is like a dream come true due to the incredible variety of plant species set in a beautiful location [...]
  • Francisco Donatien Cigar Factory Vinales Cuba
    Francisco Donatien Cigar Factory Vinales Cuba
    Located in a former prison and on this site since 1961 the Francisco Donatien Cigar Factory is an ideal daytrip to spend a couple of hours watching people busily roll some of Pinar Del Rios finest cigars. Neatly seated side by side at special wooden benches, the cigar makers carry out their work with dexterity and amazing speed, producing vast numbers of cigars of identical weight and length in the time it takes to bat an eyelid. Similar but much [...]
 
Ads By CiberSpaces

Available now!
Reside in Havana now!...

Up to 20% off! Online payment Immediate confirmation




Copyright © 2002-2017 Digital Panorama S.A. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be copied or reproduced without the written consent of Digital Panorama S.A. or it's subsidiaries.
Need help? Please contact us with questions or comments      

   
 
       800 x 600 dpi.