Municipal Government, Santiago de Cuba
It is located in one of the corners of the legendary Céspedes Park and the building was conceived as a Municipal Palace, a function that it maintains today. Located within the Plaza Mayor, a central area where the buildings representing the colonial government were concentrated.
It is built along the lines of the colonial architecture of the time period and was opened on October 18th of 1954. The decorated main front as well as the rest of the building attract the visitor and offer a pleasant stay. From its central balcony Fidel Castro addressed the public on January 1st of 1959, the first day of the triumph of the newborn Revolution.
Another January 1st, but in the year of 1984, the city was awarded the Honorific Title of “Heroic City of the Republic of Cuba” (Ciudad Héroe de la República de Cuba) and the “Order Antonio Maceo". It is needless to say that the building has been hailed a National Monument.
For more information: